|Today we spoke with Ed Brill (http://edbrill.com),
Director of Social Business and Collaboration Solutions at IBM, about his
new book. It's called Opting In: Lessons in Social Business from a Fortune
500 Product Manager, and it's available both on Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Opting-In-Lessons-Business-Fortune/dp/0133258939)
and directly from IBM Press (http://www.ibmpressbooks.com/store/opting-in-lessons-in-social-business-from-a-fortune-9780133258936).
you'd like to catch up with Ed (about the book or anything else), he has
posted a few places where you can definitely find him at IBM Connect next
- Why did you write this book?
- Who is the audience?
- What is the message of the book?
- What has surprised you about the book?
- What's going on at IBM Connect related
to the book?
- And more...
|We talked to IBM User Experience Development
team members Amanda
Giles, and Mike
Stewart about what's going on
these days with the IBM Wikis. Topics included:
trivia: did you know that the short URL to the Lotus (aka ICS) wikis is
- History of the IBM wikis
- Types of content on the wikis (it's
not just random information spread across various pages)
- New features in the latest iteration
of the wiki template
- Improvements in navigation and search
- Dynamic content control
- And more...
|Today we spoke with Joyce Davis and Colleen
Burns from IBM about the upcoming Lotusphere 2012 and Connect events being
held in beautiful sunny Orlando, Florida NEXT week!
We would like to thank Ken
"MacOSKen" Ray for
the new Taking Notes intro that he graciously produced for us. Ken produces
three outstanding Apple focussed podcasts including:
can also hear Ken on MacBreak
Weekly with Leo Laporte on
We also suggest you follow Ken on Twitter at @macosken.
you all at Lotusphere in a few days. Oh, and we will be recording several
live shows from Orlando.
This show runs 26:56 and goes quite well with a glass of pinot.
|On Episode 145 we spoke with three members
of the IBM Collaboration Solutions division about the brand new IBM
Connect 2012 event being held
in parallel with Lotusphere 2012. Our guests were Susan Collins, Marketing
Manager, IBM Collaboration Solutions and Social Business, Dan Hauenstein,
Manager, Social Business Marketing Strategy and Michelle Tuttle, Market
Segment Manager, IBM Collaboration Solutions.
We talked about:
- What is Connect?
- Where and when it is.
- Why you need to go to Connect.
- What kind of sessions there will be.
- Who the Connect OGS speaker will be
- Surprises people may see/hear about
- How attendees will be "transformed"
by attending this event.
- We ask about the Lotusphere OGS speaker
and get an answer.
- What attendees do at IBM Connect.
- and more...
Keep up with the latest on the IBM Connect conference by following the
Social Insights Blog or the
Twitter hashtags #IBMConnect
You may also hear Bruce say "use the garage" during the show
at some point. Obviously we need to teach him to mute his microphone when
The show runs just under 27 minutes and is a great listen while wrapping
your holiday gifts, trimming the Christmas tree or working on your P90X.
Connections product managers
Slavens, and Luis
Benitez fill us in on the
new features of the Connections 4 (IC4) release, including:
miss the InformationWeek
simulcast on IBM Social Technologies
coming up tomorrow. A few more links to help get you up to speed on Connections
- Embedded experiences and activity streams
- Improvements to the home page
- Easily sharing information from any
context with the Sharebox
- What's coming in the Connections mobile
- Reporting and metrics (over 100 new
- Bridging content from external websites
and news sources
- And more...
new in IBM Connections 4?
Connections 4 Reviewer's Guide
Capabilities in Connections 4
(there's also a YouTube video link on that page)
This show runs 32:55
Green, CEO of TemboSocial
tells us all about The
Hive. It's peer-to-peer social
recognition software that integrates with IBM Connections to help share
knowledge, stories, and corporate culture among employees. Topics we covered
mentioned in the podcast, there is a video
demo on YouTube and plenty
more information on the TemboSocial
website. For more information,
Chris Miller also has a video
interview with Steven Green
you can check out.
- The importance of awards, achievements,
and peer recognition
- How all this ties into corporate culture
- 400,000+ stories on The Hive site for
Bank since 2009
- How does this integrate with IBM
- Is it difficult to get management and/or
employees to use something like this?
- The way that stories become company
- Analytics and reporting
- The use of promotional banners to bring
employees back the site
This show runs 39:32.
|We spoke with Chris
Reckling (Program Manager,
Mobile UX at IBM) and Rob Ingram (Manager of Mobile Strategy, Social Business
at IBM) to get the inside scoop on what's new with IBM mobile apps. Topics
we cover included:
Even if you don't have Connections
or Sametime in-house, you can try those apps out against Lotus
Greenhouse, and you can also
download a version of IBM Worklight that's free to try (look for a link
to the Developer Edition on the Worklight
home page). Also, don't miss
the upcoming IBM
Connections mobile tech talk
on August 15.
This show runs 41:01.
|In this episode we talked about developing
applications for IBM's Connections social software platform. We were joined
by three very special guests:
covered during the show included:
- Overview of the options available to
developers (APIs, Widgets, Java)
- How widgets and apps are deployed within
- Integrating apps with the Connections
- Surfacing apps and widgets within Communities
- How IBM Connections Next will utilize
OpenSocial and ActivityStrea.ms
- How Kudos Badges was built and how it
integrates and is managed within Connections
- Why developers should use XPages to
- How you can work with iWidgets and XPages
- How to access the Connections REST API's
- Where you can find and download sample
- What other extensibility features might
be important for XPages developers
- and much more...
- Landing for all things ICS development related including Notes/Domino
"Next" and Connections "Next"
The show runs 41:53.
Be sure to listen
to our interview with IBM's Ed Brill and Trust Factory's Wueter Aukema
about the new partnership between their companies, news about Notes Social
Edition and Ed's forthcoming book.
Davis and Paul
Mooney talk about their new
website, a project to document the steps involved with building an IBM
Connections server from scratch
using a "module-based" approach. In the podcast they discuss:
can contact Paul and Gab directly via their websites (pmooney.net
or on Twitter at @pmooneynet
- What motivated you to do this in the
- What kinds of questions are customers
asking about Connections?
- Is it really that complicated of a product
to set up?
- What is the difference between Connections101
and the IBM
- Do IBM Lotus Notes and Domino customers
already have an entitlement to IBM Connections?
- And much more...
Episode 153 runs 35:00.